EMT classes are an affordable and exciting way to take the first step towards a career in emergency medical services. The EMT profession is both rewarding and exciting. There is no doubt that it takes a special person to go out there every day and save lives. EMTs respond to both medical and trauma-related emergencies on a daily basis. They provide Basic Life Support skills to help treat sick and injured patients. And, yes, some days, they are the reason people survive these injuries and illnesses.If you have wondered whether the EMT profession is for you, we’ve created a list of the top reasons the EMT profession is so amazing. As we come upon our September EMT classes with our evening programs, there’s no better time to show the advantages of becoming a trained medical professional who can assess, treat, and provide transport for patients as help is needed.
What to Expect with EMT Classes and Certifications?
The EMT profession is a life-saving profession, but there’s more to being an EMT than just that. EMTs provide emergency medical support to people who are critically ill or injured. They transport them to a medical facility for further assistance. When you take on the role of EMT, you are often the first responder on the scene. EMT classes prepare you with the knowledge you need to take on the most common calls you will respond to on the job. You can be called for any type of emergency, including:
- Car accidents
- Slips and falls
- Animal attacks
- Allergic reactions
- Shootings or stabbings
- Heart attacks
- Complications from chronic illnesses
- Mass casualty incidents
When you get to the scene, your job is to remain calm, assess the situation, and determine the best course of action to keep the patient safe and save their life if necessary. Once you have assessed the situation and developed a plan of action, you will need to perform whatever medical assistance is necessary and within your scope of training.Those who enter the EMT profession are trained to:
- Bandage wounds
- Stop bleeding
- Perform CPR
- Use an AED
- Stabilize head and neck injured
- Stabilize broken bones
- Resuscitate victims of drowning
- Provide oxygen when necessary
- Perform emergency childbirth procedures
- Administer certain medications
To enter the EMT profession, the amount of time it takes to get certified varies. At Seymour EMS, we offer a variety of EMT classes with accelerated programs, day programs, evening programs, and every refresher courses once you are already certified. Our evening EMS training
, for example, offers classes three days a week for four hours a day, and five weekend days for 4 hours a day, over the course of 14 weeks.In addition to what you learn in EMT classes and being able to pass your test, most EMTs have specific personality traits that make them a good fit for the EMT profession. EMTs need to be able to maintain their composure during particularly stressful situations. You need to be able to stay calm when things get rough and keep a clear head to make important life-saving decisions. EMTs need to be physically strong as well, but they also need to have compassion for people and the ability to make their patients feel safe in what might be the worst time of their lives.
Top Reasons to Become an EMT
Now that you’ve heard what the qualifications
are to enter the EMT profession and know what to expect with EMT classes, we’ve talked to some of our veteran EMTs and those who have recently joined the field. The reasons they became an EMT are generally the same-most of them want to have a profession that is both exciting and rewarding. And all of them have a desire to help others. But, they’ve also provided us a unique perspective on the EMT profession and what they get from the job.Here’s a list of the top reasons you should become an EMT from some emergency medical professionals with real-life experience in the field.
- You can be proud of what you do. It’s a great feeling to be able to tell people you help save lives and get injured people the medical attention they need. We can guarantee your friends won’t make fun of you for your profession!
- It’s a good start if you want a lifelong career in the medical field. Some of the most accomplished doctors, surgeons, and specialists started their career as EMTs. It’s a great way to enter the healthcare industry. You will learn the basic skills you need to grow in the field of healthcare.
- You’ll be an asset to your community. As we said, the EMT profession is both rewarding and exciting. You can earn a living and give back to your community.
- Many fun jobs call for professionals certified as EMTs. Once you get your certification, you aren’t restricted to only working for an ambulance company. While working for an ambulance company is exciting, you might find you are a better fit for some other cool job opportunities. Think places like concerts, car races, festivals, theme parks, and resorts. Many of them hire EMTs to keep the crowds and their patrons safe.
- Finding a job is easy. The EMT profession is in demand! Employment is usually easy to find as soon as you pass your test and are cleared to work. There is also a lot of overtime available.
- You’ll never get bored. One day is always different from the next. If you are someone who shy’s away from the monotony of the daily grind, the EMT profession is for you! Every day you’ll encounter something new. And most days you’ll have funny or adventurous stories to bring home to talk about.
- You’ll meet lots of people. Part of your job is establishing a social connection with your patients, the community, families, and those in the healthcare field. You’ll also build your communication skills which will only help you in the future.
- There’s room for growth. Since every day is different, you will encounter new challenges constantly. This is a great opportunity for growth. There are always ways you can improve yourself in the EMT profession.
- You’re on the move. Since you aren’t sitting at a desk all day, you have a lot of opportunities to travel around. You’ll be out in the field. There’s a great deal of freedom to the profession and you will have the chance to develop great friendships and lasting memories.
- You truly make a difference. What you do matters! Not every patient will need to be saved, but even the smallest medical calls are a chance to make a difference in the lives of the people you help. You will be surprised how much of an impact you make on your patients, even in the most routine calls.
- The EMT profession will change you forever. Once you enter the profession, you’ll never be the same. And that can be a good thing. You will see some people in their darkest days and this will allow you to grow as a person. But, you’ll also be with some people in the most important moments of their lives. Good or bad, you’ll understand what really matters in life and you will be a better person because of it.
So, there you have it! We may be partial, but being an EMT is the best profession in the world! Where else can you be sitting back laughing with your crew one minute then jumping into a high-intensity, heart-racing emergency the next? Sure, some days will just be the run of the mill normal calls coming in. But, others! Those days will be moments that change your life. Plus, what else is better than having someone come up to you and say “because of you, I’m alive!” The EMT profession isn’t just a job, it’s a passion that will enrich your life in ways you never imagined.
Now is the perfect time to sign up for a career that’s both rewarding and exciting with our September Evening EMT course.